[gmx-users] comm removal in xy-direction only

Diddo Diddens diddo.diddens at ics-cnrs.unistra.fr
Tue Mar 10 10:55:39 CET 2015

Dear all,

I have a question concerning the center-of-mass-motion removal in
gromacs. Is it possible to remove the comm in x- and y- direction only,
while still having periodic boundary conditions in all three dimensions?

Currently, I am simulating a polyelectrolyte complex in solution. The
structure is a bit similar to that of a membrane, as the complex is
periodic in x- and y-direction, whereas in z-direction, the solution
lies above and below the complex. The comm is removed separately for the
complex and the solution.

In a second step, I would like to apply an external force in
z-direction. Since any comm removal in z-direction would undo the motion
imposed by the external force, I was wondering if one could remove the
comm in x- and y-direction only (preferably only for the comm-group
"complex"). I noticed that this is automatically done for pbc=xy,
however, I would like to know if this can also be achieved for pbc=xyz.
If not, could someone please specify the exact location in the gromacs
code, so I could implement this little feature myself?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Diddo Diddens