[gmx-users] pdb2gmx and specbond with arbitrary ligand

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 12 02:20:40 CET 2015

On 3/11/15 1:08 PM, Leandro Bortot wrote:
> Dear users,
>
>       I want to simulate some ligands covalently bonded to a protein, i.e.
> covalent inhibitors. I've searched the list and found similar issues, but
> mainly with heme in forcefields in which it is already supported. I use the
> AMBER99SB-ILDN forcefield and I can simulate the non covalent complexes
> with no problems using GAFF.
>
>       I suppose I can just put both the ligand and the protein under the
> same [moleculetype] specification in a .itp file and manually add the bonds
> in this topology. It seems that I only need a script to renumber the atoms
> to achieve this. However, I think pdb2gmx and specbond.dat may already be
> able to do this. The problem is: How can pdb2gmx understand my arbitrary
> ligand? Is adding my ligand to a local copy of
> amber99sb-ildn/aminoacids.rtp the only way?
>
>       What would be the best way to do that?

Yes, the .rtp approach is the most reliable way to do this.  Follow all the
steps in
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field
and add an entry in specbond.dat (format explained in
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/specbond.dat)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629