[gmx-users] Dihedral angle autocorrelation function - g_chi function mismatch

atanu das samrucu at yahoo.co.in
Fri Mar 13 00:30:13 CET 2015

Hi David, I have checked both the codes, g_angle.c and g_chi.c, and the same Cos function is used in both the cases (please correct me if I am wrong).  g_angle analysis: I have used the following command to calculate the average autocorrelation function (ACF) over all the backbone phi & psi dihedral angles given in the index file. The phi-psi definition I use in the index file is the usual description of dihedral angles i.e. C-N-CA-C and N-CA-C-N. g_angle -f final.xtc -n phi-psi.ndx -oc dihcorr.xvg -type dihedral -avercorr g_chi analysis: I have used the following command to estimate the autocorrelation function of individual dihedral angles and then estimated the average autocorrelation function to compare with the previous result.  g_chi -s md.tpr -f final.xtc -corr -phi -psi
The two curves (average ACFs calculated by two procedure) show almost similar behavior (tried to attach the figure file, but couldn't due to size limit). The slightly faster relaxation time obtained from g_chi may be attributed to the phi-psi description in-built in g_chi analysis (H-N-CA-C and N-CA-C-O).
 Is there a way to calculate ACF using the formula you described in your Biophysical Journal 97 article (Eq. 1)? ThanksAtanu