[gmx-users] problems with pressure control when using implicit solvent

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 13 01:54:00 CET 2015

On 3/12/15 8:03 PM, Ming Tang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am doing a modelling which consist of a peptide of 40 residues. I am using Implicit solvent and controlled the pressure. However, the box keeps shrinking until the system collapse if I use PBC.

Implicit solvent should be used without PBC and no pressure coupling.

> If I remove PBC, the pressure will always be 0. I guess this is due to the together use of implicit solvent, pressure control and non-PBC condition.  Can anyone give me some advices?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
>
> title                        = charmm27
> define                   = -DPOSRES        ; position restrain the protein
> ; Run parameters
> integrator            = md-vv                               ; leap-frog integrator
> nsteps                  = 5000000            ; 2 * 5000000 = 10 ns
> dt                            = 0.002                  ; 2 fs
> ; Output control
> nstxout                                = 100000              ; save coordinates
> nstvout                                = 100000              ; save velocities
> nstxtcout             = 1000
> nstenergy           = 1000                   ; save energies
> nstlog                    = 1000                   ; update log file
>
> ; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
> ; nblist update frequency
> nstlist                  = 10
> ; ns algorithm (simple or grid)
> ns_type                  = grid
> ; nblist cut-off
> cutoff-scheme                  = group
> rlist                    = 1.2
>
> ; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
> ; Method for doing electrostatics
> coulombtype              = cut-off
> rcoulomb-switch          = 0.8
> rcoulomb                 = 1.2
> ; Relative dielectric constant for the medium and the reaction field
> epsilon_r                = 2
> epsilon_rf               = 0
> ; Method for doing Van der Waals
> vdw-type                 = cut-off
> ; cut-off lengths
> rvdw-switch              = 0.8
> rvdw                     = 1.2

I suspect "standard" cutoffs (especially combined with plain cutoff methods)
will produce artifacts.  Usually people use longer cutoffs in implicit solvent.
  Check this very carefully.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy