[gmx-users] Force field choosing and parameterization

Leandro Bortot leandro.obt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 17:44:10 CET 2015

Hi,

     If your main interest is to correlate simulation data with
fluorescence spectroscopy experiments I suppose the best way is to run ab
initio calculations of the fluorescence spectra using quantum chemistry
softwares such as Gaussian or ORCA.
     The way I see it, the role molecular dynamics simulations can play in
this is by allowing some refinement by explicitly introducing the system
flexibility in your calculations and/or by considering how the solvent
arranges itself around the fluorophore. In other words, you can run several
ab initio fluorescence calculations using information from different frames
of the MD simulations.
     I believe you can't get the fluorescence information you want
"on-the-fly" using QM/MM, since such calculations can take quite some time,
but anyway I don't think it is necessary in your system.

     1) My personal choice is AMBER99. I believe any recent version of the
AMBER or CHARMM forcefields are well suited. I don't know about the other
ones.

     2) Yes, you will need to build the parameters for your fluorophore and
for your substrate, unless you can find them in the literature (which, by
the way, can be a reason to chose one forcefield over the others). For
AMBER you can use GAFF and Antechamber. For CHARMM you can use the
CHARMM-GUI server, but I have never tried this one by myself.

     3) If the lifetime of the excited state of your fluorophore is
relevant to the time scales sampled by molecular dynamics simulations, then
it would necessary if such excited state affect the protein behavior and/or
substrate binding.

I hope it helps,
Leandro