[gmx-users] umbrella sampling tutorial

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 18 01:34:24 CET 2015

On 3/17/15 8:08 PM, Ming Tang wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Here is the error message.
> tm at tm-HP-Z420-Workstation:~/umbrella$ perl distances.pl
> Bareword found where operator expected at distances.pl line 8, near ""gmx distance -n index.ndx -s pull.tpr -f conf${i}.gro -select 'com of group "Chain_A"
> 	(Missing operator before Chain_A?)
> String found where operator expected at distances.pl line 8, near "Chain_A" plus com of group ""
> Bareword found where operator expected at distances.pl line 8, near "" plus com of group "Chain_B"
> 	(Missing operator before Chain_B?)
> String found where operator expected at distances.pl line 8, near "Chain_B"' -oav dist${i}.xvg""
> syntax error at distances.pl line 8, near ""gmx distance -n index.ndx -s pull.tpr -f conf${i}.gro -select 'com of group "Chain_A"
> Execution of distances.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

You can't nest " in a Perl script without using escape characters.

system("gmx distance -n index.ndx -s pull.tpr -f conf${i}.gro -select 'com of
group \"Chain_A\" plus com of group \"Chain_B\"' -oav dist${i}.xvg")

Otherwise, just run gmx distance on the trajectory.  Using the conf*.gro files
is sort of a roundabout way to do this, but since you'll (in theory) need them
later, it's semi-convenient to generate the output this way.

-Justin