[gmx-users] error while equilibration

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 19 01:03:58 CET 2015

On 3/18/15 12:01 PM, ananyachatterjee wrote:

> I am trying to simulate RNA in water. I have minimized the system with steepest
> Decent for 2000 steps and then with Conjugate gradient for till the energy
> coverage reaches to 100 Kj/mol. But when I am trying to equilibrate it I am
> getting following error

What's the actual output in terms of Epot and Fmax?  What force field are you using?

> Program mdrun, VERSION 4.5.5
> Source code file: /build/buildd/gromacs-4.5.5/src/mdlib/pme.c, line: 538
>
> Fatal error:
> 11 particles communicated to PME node 3 are more than 2/3 times the cut-off out
> of the domain decomposition cell of their charge group in dimension x.
> This usually means that your system is not well equilibrated.
>

> My nvt.mdp file contain
>
> title       = RNA complex NVT equilibration
> define      = -DPOSRES  ; position restrain
> ; Run parameters
> integrator  = md        ; leap-frog integrator
> nsteps      = 50000     ; 2 * 50000 = 100 ps
> dt          = 0.002     ; 2 fs
> ; Output control
> nstxout     = 100       ; save coordinates every 0.2 ps
> nstvout     = 100       ; save velocities every 0.2 ps
> nstenergy   = 100       ; save energies every 0.2 ps
> nstlog      = 100       ; update log file every 0.2 ps
> energygrps  = RNA SOL NA
> ; Bond parameters
> continuation    = no            ; first dynamics run
> constraint_algorithm = lincs    ; holonomic constraints
> constraints     = all-bonds     ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds) constrained
> lincs_iter      = 1             ; accuracy of LINCS
> lincs_order     = 4             ; also related to accuracy
> ; Neighborsearching
> ns_type     = grid      ; search neighboring grid cells
> nstlist     = 5         ; 10 fs
> rlist       = 0.9       ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> rcoulomb    = 0.9       ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> rvdw        = 1.4       ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)

I doubt these settings are right for any of the reliable nucleic acid force
fields I know of, but you'll have to answer the question above.

> ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype     = PME       ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
> pme_order       = 4         ; cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing  = 0.16      ; grid spacing for FFT
> ; Temperature coupling
> tcoupl      = V-rescale                     ; modified Berendsen thermostat
> tc-grps     = RNA SOL NA  ; two coupling groups - more accurate

Don't couple solvent and ions separately.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Thermostats#What_Not_To_Do

-Justin

> tau_t       = 0.1   0.1 0.1                     ; time constant, in ps
> ref_t       = 310   310 310                    ; reference temperature, one for
> each group, in K
> ; Pressure coupling
> pcoupl      = no        ; no pressure coupling in NVT
> ; Periodic boundary conditions
> pbc         = xyz       ; 3-D PBC
> ; Dispersion correction
> DispCorr    = EnerPres  ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
> ; Velocity generation
> gen_vel     = yes       ; assign velocities from Maxwell distribution
> gen_temp    = 310       ; temperature for Maxwell distribution
> gen_seed    = -1        ; generate a random seed
>
> Please tell me where I am doing wrong.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629