[gmx-users] parallel calculation problem in implicit solvent modeling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 20 14:07:30 CET 2015

On 3/19/15 9:25 PM, Ming Tang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I had a problems with parallel calculation of a implicit solvent problem. My gromacs is compiled with mpi, so technically, I run mdrun_mpi for my simulation. I am calling 12 cpus for my simulation and started 12 treads.
>
> When I put a limited rlist in the simulation, say rlist=4, 12 cpus calculation runs good. However, when I put an infinite one, which is rlist=rvdw=rcoulmb=rgbradii=0, the parallel calculation doesn't move anymore, and doesn't give me error msg, either. The output window is freezed, showing a note:
>

> Non-default thread affinity set probably by the OpenMP library,
> disabling internal thread affinity
>
> If I change it to one CPU calculation, the simulation will still run, with rlist=0.
>
> I also tried 'simple' method for ns algorithm, but the mpi compiles parallel calculation does not allow to use it due to the default 'Domain decomposition' algrithm.
>
> Can any mate give me some hints? Thanks in advance.

You're probably just triggering a totally untested combination, so the code
hangs because no one's looked into that combination.  12 CPU (DD?) + infinite
cutoffs + grid searching...it gets complicated in a hurry.  There is not much to
be gained by using many cores/threads for implicit solvent; in my experience, it
doesn't scale very well.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy