[gmx-users] Carbohydrate force fields in GROMACS

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 20 17:37:02 CET 2015

On 3/20/15 12:30 PM, mish wrote:
> Many thanks.  I know parameters are available in literature but my question
> was how to use them in GROMACS. Now, I can see different residue names
> (e.g  AMAN, BMAN, AGAL, BGAL etc for different monosaccharides in CHARMM).
> I think I will need to edit input pdb file accordingly. However, I am still

Yes, .rtp and coordinate file residue names must match.

> not sure of methylated monosaccharides have to be constructed as "modified
> monosaccharides", or there are CHARMM parameters for methy (as  a separate
> residue) available and one should use 2 residues in such case. I will have
> a look in archive to find-out how to create  modified monosaccharides.

In CHARMM, there are "patches" that are applied to various residues.  There is
limited support for such modifications in GROMACS.  You can define .tdb entries,
but those only work for Protein, DNA, and RNA.  So you should not define
separate residues for, e.g. a monosaccharide and a methyl "residue."  Instead, a
methylated sugar as a single .rtp entry is the foolproof approach.  Chapter 5 of
the manual is your friend (.rtp syntax is straightforward) as well as
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629