[gmx-users] Extracting frames to a new trajectory based on RMSD cut-off value

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 24 01:59:53 CET 2015

On 3/23/15 8:32 AM, Sandhyaa Subramanian wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have a trajectory of 10,000 frames (traj.xtc) and would like to create a new sub-trajectory (sub_traj.xtc) by extracting specific frames from traj.xtc based on certain RMSD cut-off value to the reference PDB file. For example, if my RMSD cut-off is 0.3 nm, then I would like to extract all frames from traj.xtc that have RMSD less than or equal to 0.3nm with the reference PDB file.
> Will g_cluster -f traj.xtc -s reference.pdb -n index.ndx -cutoff 0.3 -fit -o newtraj help me? I mean can I use newtraj.xpm file in the trjconv (under -sub) command to get my desired result?

An .xpm file is a matrix file; it's not a viable input for trjconv.

Write out the RMSD time series (g_rms), use grep/awk to find which frames
correspond to values under your cutoff, and pass those to trjconv -dump to write
out individual frames of interest.  Concatenate with trjcat.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore