[gmx-users] g_sans_mpi problem: bus error (core dumped)

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:07:01 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 12:40 PM, CHEN Pan <evan.pan.chen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> What's the difference between the frames read and the frames analyzed?
> Since g_sans read a frame, it's going to analyze it. Right or no?

Depends how badly it's been implemented ;-) I've never looked at that one.
But since the most likely explanation is running out of memory, you can
test for that by observing that something like -b 50000 -e 70000 works but
-e 80000 does not. If -b 0 -e 50000 works, then we know there is a problem
with using memory for frames read but not analyzed. XTC is designed to be
seekable, but there are so many archaic trajectory-reading APIs and
fossilized analysis tools in GROMACS...

Also, running analysis from an MPI build gives you extra ways to have
problems and no advantage, so I recommend not doing that.

Mark

By using -prframe and -sqframe flags, g_sans is going to analyze on each