[gmx-users] Topology for Cross linked polymer chains

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 27 14:27:17 CET 2015

On 3/27/15 9:25 AM, sridhar dwadasi wrote:
> Hi Justin Lemkul,
>                   Thank you very much for the reply. I have tried using
> x2top for generating topology. I copied contents of opls ff to poly ff and
> added some atoms and ran the command. The output was as follows:
> """
> GROMACS is written by:
> Emile Apol         Rossen Apostolov   Herman J.C. Berendsen Par
> Bjelkmar
> Aldert van Buuren  Rudi van Drunen    Anton Feenstra     Sebastian Fritsch
> Gerrit Groenhof    Christoph Junghans Peter Kasson       Carsten Kutzner
> Per Larsson        Justin A. Lemkul   Magnus Lundborg    Pieter Meulenhoff
> Erik Marklund      Teemu Murtola      Szilard Pall       Sander Pronk
> Roland Schulz      Alexey Shvetsov    Michael Shirts     Alfons Sijbers
> Peter Tieleman     Christian Wennberg Maarten Wolf
> and the project leaders:
> Mark Abraham, Berk Hess, Erik Lindahl, and David van der Spoel
>
> Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
> Copyright (c) 2001-2014, The GROMACS development team at
> Uppsala University, Stockholm University and
> the Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
> check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.
>
> GROMACS is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License
> as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1
> of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
> GROMACS:      gmx x2top, VERSION 5.0.2
> Executable:   /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx
> Library dir:  /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top
> Command line:
>    gmx x2top -f polyngta_nm.pdb -ff poly -o check.rtp -v -param
>
> Opening force field file ./poly.ff/atomname2type.n2t
> There are 9 name to type translations in file ./poly.ff
> Generating bonds from distances...
> atom 162
> There are 7 different atom types in your sample
> Generating angles and dihedrals from bonds...
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> """
> It returned an error. I have seen posts earlier regarding an error in the
> code in version 5. Is it related to that?

Yes.

> Also in many posts I have seen that even if it generates topology, the
> generated topology must be carefully checked. Is it system dependent?

Any method that is guessing atom types, charges, etc. from a database of generic
parameters needs to be checked.  These are not predefined, optimized parameters
like one would find in an .rtp file from a thoroughly parametrized force field.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore