[gmx-users] Query- Ligand parametrization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Mar 28 13:21:52 CET 2015

On 3/28/15 7:05 AM, Priya Das wrote:
> I am sorry to bother again and again.  I am new to it and still learning
> the basics.
> My molecule is a decahydroquinoline. The paramchem generated .str file is
> HERE
> <https://cgenff.paramchem.org/initguess/filedownload.php?file=20150328/Pose1.str>
> .

That file is not accessible.  I'm not sure why there are high penalties in that
molecule; it is very straightforward.

> I am following CGennFF tutorial and your instructions as HERE
> <http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~kenno/cgenff/program.html>. As penalties
> are there i need to use QM, but i am not able to run CHARMM simulations as
> CHARMM is not freely available. So tried to use this Toolkit
> <http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/fftk/>, but still in vain.

Because neither CHARMM nor fftk do what you need to do.  You need QM software
that is capable of doing geometry optimizations, angle and dihedral scans, and
vibrational analysis.  We use Gaussian.  If you don't have access to that kind
of software, you're not going to be able to generate the target data you need,
simply put.

On the MM side, assuming you can generate the QM target data for refinement, any
package will work - CHARMM, GROMACS, etc.  You don't explicitly need CHARMM.
You need something that can do energy minimization and single-point energy
evaluations.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629