[gmx-users] Advice needed

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 31 13:42:15 CEST 2015

On 3/31/15 5:25 AM, Priya Das wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am working with a transmembrane ion channel and have docked a ligand
> which binds to its pore.
> The ligand forms only one hydrogen bond with the ion channel.
> I want to prove the stability of the binding of this ligand using
> protein-ligand dynamics.
>
> 1) Do i need to convey to the system about the hydrogen bonds , i.e.,
> between which atoms are the hydrogen bonds formed ?

Hydrogen bonds arise principally due to electrostatic interactions.  You don't
provide any sort of information about "this is a hydrogen bond" as part of any
input.

> 2) Is gmx hbonds the command for it?

As the name implies, yes.

> 3) In the tutorial (
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/complex/01_pdb2gmx.html)
> , there is no mention about forming any hydrogen bonds between ligand and
> protein , then how do we judge that the protein- ligand affinity is stable
> in that site or in that conformation?

Hydrogen bonding is one of many possible stabilizing interactions.  There is a
whole lot more to the story of protein-ligand binding than just hydrogen bonds.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore