[gmx-users] Gromacs in UBUNTU

James Lord jjamesgreen110 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 05:24:27 CEST 2015

Hi Saeed,
You don't necessarily need to install it first from Ubuntu software center
and then update it. you can directly get the latest version and follow the
instruction on gromacs website.
Quick and dirty installation
<http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Installation_Instructions_5.0?highlight=command#TOC>

   1. Get the latest version of your C and C++ compilers.
   2. Check that you have CMake version 2.8.8 or later.
   3. Get and unpack the latest version of the GROMACS tarball.
   4. Make a separate build directory and change to it.
   5. Run cmake with the path to the source as an argument
   6. Run make, make check, and make install

Or, as a sequence of commands to execute:

tar xfz gromacs-5.0.5.tar.gz
cd gromacs-5.0.5
mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON -DREGRESSIONTEST_DOWNLOAD=ON
make
make check
sudo make install
source /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC