[gmx-users] build nuance in gmx5 (avoiding "file INSTALL cannot find gmx")

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Thu May 21 17:50:15 CEST 2015

Dear Szilárd:

I report it only because it is allowed in gmx4 builds (or at least it works, I am not sure whether or not is it "allowed").

I move the source because I often have many modified source trees that I rename to keep things straight.

The quick and dirty method that you cite presumes that one has root access, which is very unlikely on the places that most simulations are run.

The http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Installation_Instructions_5.0#typical-gromacs-installation section below that does have a note about "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=xxx to install GROMACS to a non-standard location (default /usr/local/gromacs)" but that gives no suggestions on how to use it and based on my experience I presume that "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$(pwd)" would give a similar error if applied to the "quick and dirty" method.

My intention is not to try to get gromacs to change the build procedure. Just to report something that worked once that no longer works and to include a snippit from the relevant error message so that it is searchable.

Thank you,
Chris.