[gmx-users] how to assign options of the same type?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun May 24 14:55:41 CEST 2015

On 5/24/15 8:29 AM, Zhang, Cheng wrote:
> Dear GROMACS,
>
> Can I ask how to assign options of the same type?
>

> For example, on the website of
>
> http://manual.gromacs.org/current/programs/gmx-mdrun.html
>

> It is said in the "Synopsis":
>

> [-o [<.trr/.cpt/...>]
>

> I want to name the output files as md.trr and md.cpt. However, the followings do not work:
>

> -o md.trr md.cpt
>
> -o md.trr/md.cpt
>
> -o md.trr -o md.cpt
>

> So do you know what is the syntax?

You can't specify multiple files to any option that is not labeled "Mult."  In
the case of mdrun -o, that is the output trajectory format.  The general help
info in the synopsis indicates that this file type may be interchangeable in a
general sense, but here it is somewhat misleading.  You shouldn't try to output
a checkpoint file in lieu of your trajectory.  The .cpt is produced
(automatically) with -cpo.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629