[gmx-users] Velocities with constraints

Miguel Caro miguel.caro at aalto.fi
Thu Nov 12 14:49:03 CET 2015

Dear Mark,

I have rechecked that my equations should actually be correct: I am
calculating the angular velocity in the reference frame where the center
of mass is at rest, therefore for a rigid body the rotational axis in
this frame should go through the center of mass.

I have done further analysis of the results and have found very
systematic errors in the angle between the velocity and the position
vector of the atoms belonging to the same molecule. This angle should
always be 90 degrees for rotational motion, however Gromacs is giving
slightly less (typically about 89.5 degrees). I have checked the effect
of single/double precision to be negligible here. My interpretation of
this result is that Gromacs is *estimating* what the velocity vector
will look like some time after the instant in which the positions are
calculated. If you try to picture this, I think Gromacs is printing r(t)
and v(t+dt) on the same line for each atom.

Is this what is going on? If so, what is the value of dt and how can I
prevent this behavior? If dt is the same as the integration time I could
then load the positions at time = t together with the velocities
*printed* at t-dt. Does this make sense?

Ideally I would like to induce the behavior that r(t) and v(t) are
printed on the same line.

Regards,
Miguel