[gmx-users] Velocities with constraints

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:19:59 CET 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:49 PM Miguel Caro <miguel.caro at aalto.fi> wrote:

> Dear Mark,
>
> I have rechecked that my equations should actually be correct: I am
> calculating the angular velocity in the reference frame where the center
> of mass is at rest, therefore for a rigid body the rotational axis in
> this frame should go through the center of mass.
>
> I have done further analysis of the results and have found very
> systematic errors in the angle between the velocity and the position
> vector of the atoms belonging to the same molecule. This angle should
> always be 90 degrees for rotational motion, however Gromacs is giving
> slightly less (typically about 89.5 degrees). I have checked the effect
> of single/double precision to be negligible here. My interpretation of
> this result is that Gromacs is *estimating* what the velocity vector
> will look like some time after the instant in which the positions are
> calculated. If you try to picture this, I think Gromacs is printing r(t)
> and v(t+dt) on the same line for each atom.
>
> Is this what is going on? If so, what is the value of dt and how can I
> prevent this behavior? If dt is the same as the integration time I could
> then load the positions at time = t together with the velocities
> *printed* at t-dt. Does this make sense?

The usual integrator in GROMACS is leapfrog, which by nature computes r and
v at different times - they are out of phase by half of the step size
(though I forget which of them leads in GROMACS). This is reflected in the
r and v output, because r and v are never known at the same time
(KE-related quantities are handled specially). Estimating temperature in MD
is a very tricky business (Eastwood, 2009)

Ideally I would like to induce the behavior that r(t) and v(t) are
> printed on the same line.

There is a velocity-Verlet integrator available, which does compute r and v
at the same time. I suspect it writes similarly staggered velocities, but
the integrator implementation is diabolically complex and I've never needed
to be sure... That's something you could try out.

Mark

Regards,