[gmx-users] Polarizable Li+ Drude Simulations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 17 18:31:33 CET 2015

On 11/17/15 12:18 PM, Tuanan Lourenço wrote:
> Hi, My name is Tuanan and I am a Ph.D Student from Brazil.
>
> I am trying simulate Li+ using the polarizable force field of Roux (J.
> Chem. Theor. Comput., (2010), 6, 774-786) but I don't understand how i
> create my Li+ structure PDB file.
>   I must insert a Drude particle in Li+ PDB file??? Someone would have a
> tutorial or a example of PDB file of monovalent ion with polarizable force
> field based on Drude?

The initial coordinates of the Drude particle are the same as the parent atom.
Following minimization and/or propagation in dynamics, the Drude moves in
response to the surrounding environment.

Have a look at http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/charmm_drude_ff.shtml if you want
the latest features for simulating polarizable systems.  It's not in an official
release (it's on my still-too-long to-do list) but the instructions are there,
as well as sample .mdp files.  The code has a modified genion that inserts
polarizable ions for you, though this is really a trivial operation, as noted above.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore