[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling tutorial - V-rescale or Berendsen thermostat

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 18 17:39:36 CET 2015

On 11/18/15 11:37 AM, Martin Nors Pedersen wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I am following the Justin Lemkul's tutorial for Umbrella sampling:
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/umbrella/index.html
>

> I am at the step where i want to perfom the NPT equilibration. Using the input
> file provided in the tutorial, I use grompp to prepare the .tpr file. I get a
> note, however, which states that the selected thermostat in the provided npt.mdp
> is not optimal:
>
>      " The Berendsen thermostat does not generate the correct kinetic energy
>       distribution. You might want to consider using the V-rescale thermostat. "
>
> I just want to ask if there is some specific reason for choosing the Berendsen
> thermostat over of the V-rescale in the NPT equilibration? According to the
> manual ( http://manual.gromacs.org/online/mdp_opt.html#tc ), they are similar
> except for a stochastic term which makes the V-rescale thermostat better. But I
> do not know if this has any (significant) influence in the NPT equilibration.

For equilibration, it doesn't matter.  Berendsen relaxes extremely quickly, so
it is often used in initial equilibration.  V-rescale works fine, too.  Just
don't use Berendsen for actual data collection.

Since the tutorial was derived from one of my published papers, I stuck with the
actual input files/algorithms that we used back then.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore