[gmx-users] PME on a non-neutral system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 21 19:09:14 CEST 2015

On 10/21/15 12:14 PM, Smith, Micholas D. wrote:
> Albert,
>
> Gromacs won't automatically neutralize the system (as far as I know). If I recall being non-neutral doesn't necessarily result in problems, but may instead slow your run-time. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Old posts suggest that GROMACS does in fact apply a neutralizing background plasma:

https://mailman-1.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-users/2006-April/020821.html

I suspect this is still the case.

Non-neutral systems can be problematic if they are inhomogeneous, e.g. a bilayer
or something similar.  You can get big artifacts in those cases.

-Justin

> -Micholas
>
> ===================
> Micholas Dean Smith, PhD.
> Post-doctoral Research Associate
> University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
> Center for Molecular Biophysics

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629