[gmx-users] Creating topology for Cu-containing enzyme, GROMOS96 force field.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 11 13:51:16 CEST 2016

On 8/10/16 3:26 PM, Francesca Lønstad Bleken wrote:
> I am interested in a metalloenzyme with Cu and I have found several studies
> in the literature on systems similar to mine using GROMACS and the Gromos
> force field. I see that GROMOS contains parameters for Cu, and I intend to
> keep the Cu-protein distances for the ligand atoms fixated during MD (as I
> see most of the previous papers have done). However, I do not understand how
> to prepare the topology for the cofactors with Cu, and none of the papers
> discuss this. pdb2gmx does not recognize it and the PRODRG server suggested
> in the excellent tutorial on protein-ligand system does not recognize Cu. Do
> you have a suggestion for how to proceed with creating the topology including
> Cu (in one case) and Cu-containing (another case) co-factors? Direction
> towards tutorials that I might have missed are also appreciated.

This is certainly not a trivial task.  Dealing with metal-containing cofactors
is a challenge for any MD force field, as most representations of ions
(particularly divalent ones) is very crude and ultimately incorrect.  You have
to do proper charge calculations (e.g. QM ESP) to determine what effect the ion
has on the ligating atoms in the rest of the cofactor.  With the constraint that
the ion should have an integral charge (ultimately incorrect based on QM/MM, but
a necessary approximation for additive force fields), the charges have to be
re-apportioned accordingly.  Given the vague connection between GROMOS force
fields and QM (most of GROMOS parametrization requires empirical adjustment to
achieve agreement with condensed-phase thermodynamic data), I would recommend
using a different force field with more detailed, published parametrization
protocol, one with a direct connection to QM.  CHARMM, AMBER, and OPLS all have
very detailed procedures available and are likely better suited to these types
of species.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629