[gmx-users] Gromacs does not fully utilize CPU

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:15:23 CEST 2016

Hi,

Such node sharing is definitely going to hurt your throughput - mdrun is
designed to saturate the CPU cores you run it on. Just starting both
processes naively will give terrible performance. You have to keep both
processes on separate cores (e.g. with Linux taskset or similar tools to
set the *affinity* of the threads to cores). mdrun can also be managed
along the lines of
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/2016/user-guide/mdrun-performance.html#examples-for-mdrun-on-one-node
but
your other process will need some other kind of management, so you might as
well use the same for mdrun (which by default it will respect).

Mark