[gmx-users] about position restrain

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Aug 20 13:12:56 CEST 2016

On 8/19/16 4:14 PM, Albert wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> thanks for the advice.
>
> The are plenty of paper have discussed that it is necessary to restrain the
> backbone ,or at lease the CA atoms,  of a homology models. Otherwise it would
> turn out to be something completely nonsense.

Without context, I can't comment, but I'd stick by my original comments.  If you
have to force a protein to stay a certain conformation, what confidence do you
have that that conformation is actually relevant if it otherwise distorts or
changes?  Layering assumptions on assumptions is often a bad way to go, but
proceed how you like...

> Probably restrain the secondary structure would be reasonable. May I ask how can
> we do this in Gromacs? Is there any documentation?

Dihedral restraints are described in the print and online manuals, and there are
examples on gromacs.org.

-Justin

> Thx a lot
>

> On 08/19/2016 09:32 PM, Justin Lemkul wrote:
>> Why is it necessary to impose any restraint on the backbone in the first
>> place? If you don't have confidence in the homology model and you are
>> enforcing a given structure, then there is little confidence that any observed
>> dimerization is legitimate.  You should prove that the structure is
>> reasonable/stable and do a normal simulation without restraints.
>>
>> If, for some reason, you must apply restraints to maintain some secondary
>> structure element(s), then use dihedral restraints, not position restraints.
>>
>> -Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629