[gmx-users] PMF decompostion

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Dec 3 07:19:42 CET 2016

On 02/12/16 23:40, Christopher Neale wrote:
> PMF gives free energy, which can not be decomposed into VDW and Q without leaving a remainder, though I guess that doesn't affect your question. Enthalpy is simply the average potential energy plus the pressure volume component. So you can compute average potential energy VDW and Q components at each umbrella if you want (from the .edr files with gmx energy). Be aware that the statistical uncertainty on the enthalpy tends to be greater than the relevant differences on achievable simulation timescales (i.e., convergence is hard), so you'll want to evaluate error explicitly.

Agree with Chris here, that enthalpy and entropy are the
thermodynamically meaningful components here. VDW and Q does not mean
anything outside the force field definition since they can not be
measured in any way. For more info on decomposing into enthalpy and
entropy, see this paper: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct400404q

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.