[gmx-users] COM group of Membrane and Protein simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 5 00:04:28 CET 2016

On 12/2/16 10:29 PM, Mijiddorj Batsaikhan wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you very much.
> I attached my mdp file. Peptide locates on membrane surface. I want to know
> about interaction between membrane and peptide, membrane permeability of
> peptide, amino acids contribution for the penetration, specially energetic
> values between the membrane and the peptide.
> Please suggest me with helpful options?
> How can I chose COM groups?

This topic was recently discussed at great length on the list, and I believe the
conclusion was that there was no really solid answer.  In biphasic systems, in
which the two phases have different diffusion properties, typically the two
phases are the two groups.  For a protein bound to a membrane, the protein is
part of both environments.  I don't think it should be its own separate group,
but there is no systematic study of simulation properties in this regard that I
know of.

-Justin

> [...]
> integrator              = md
> dt                      = 0.002
> nsteps                  = 25000000
> nstlog                  = 5000
> nstxout                 = 5000
> nstvout                 = 5000
> nstfout                 = 5000
> nstcalcenergy           = 100
> nstenergy               = 100
> nstxout-compressed      = 100
> nstxtcout               = 100
> compressed-x-grps       = System
> energygrps              = PROT MEMB SOL
> ;
> cutoff-scheme           = Verlet
> nstlist                 = 10
> rlist                   = 1.2
> coulombtype             = pme
> rcoulomb                = 1.2
> vdwtype                 = Cut-off
> vdw-modifier            = Force-switch
> rvdw_switch             = 1.0
> rvdw                    = 1.2
> ;
> tcoupl                  = Nose-Hoover
> tc_grps                 = PROT   MEMB   SOL_ION
> tau_t                   = 1.0    1.0    1.0
> ref_t                   = 313 313 313
> ;
> pcoupl                  = Parrinello-Rahman
> pcoupltype              = semiisotropic
> tau_p                   = 5.0
> compressibility         = 4.5e-5  4.5e-5
> ref_p                   = 1.0     1.0
> ;
> constraints             = h-bonds
> constraint_algorithm    = LINCS
> continuation            = yes
> ;
> nstcomm                 = 100
> comm_mode               = linear
> comm_grps               = PROT   MEMB   SOL_ION ; which one is better to
> the simulation?
> ;comm_grps               = PROT_MEMB   SOL_ION ; which one is better to the
> simulation?
> ;
> refcoord_scaling        = com
> ================
> ------------------------------
>

>> Message: 5
>> Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 07:50:52 -0500
>> From: Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>
>> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] COM group of Membrane and Protein simulation
>>

>> On 12/1/16 9:17 PM, Mijiddorj Batsaikhan wrote:
>>> Dear gmx_users,
>>>
>>> I started simulation that a peptide on membrane. My peptide locates on
>> the
>>> membrane surface. I have two questions relating to the simulation.
>>> (1)
>>> When I start the simulation, I chose COM groups separately. Is this
>> choice
>>> okay? or May I need to chose COM group inseparately?
>>>

>> Your description is ambiguous; please post the actual .mdp contents.
>>
>>> (2)
>>> During the simulation peptide is moving the edge of membrane. How can I
>>> shift the peptide to the central section of the membrane? Can I use
>>> -nojump, -center options of trjconv tool?
>>>

>> Yes - try it and see.  Also relevant is -fit transxy.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences