[gmx-users] Charged systems

Philip Loche ploche at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Dec 18 10:25:33 CET 2016

Hey Sukriti,

in general all the Ewald methods only work if the system is charge neutral. If this is not the case for your system gromacs adds a so called homogenous background charge distribution. With this one can use PME, BUT for many systems this can lead to artifacts. Especially in systems with an inhomogenous dielectric constant (see: Quantifying Artifacts in Ewald Simulations of Inhomogeneous Systems with a Net Charge
http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ct400626b).

If you should add explicit counter ions depends on the observables you are interested in, because explicit ions will change the water structure close to your ions in a different way than a homogeneous background charge does.

In general I would recommend adding explicit ions maybe with a physiological salt concentration, but think of what you are interested in maybe a single ion is what you want.

Best Philip

---

Philip Loche
Stubenrauchstr. 19