[gmx-users] Manual refinement of ATB topologies ?

Sim gmx simgmx at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:50:30 CET 2016

Thank you for your answer.

"Unfortunately", this molecule has a peculiar structure with a 5-atoms
cycle (including a nitrogen atom) directly bound to a C=O itself bound to a
CH involved in a double bound. I guess that this nearness between the
groups should lead to some "hardly predictable" charge distribution within
the molecule. Hence, if I submit for instance only the 5-atoms cyclic part
to ATB and take the C=O parameters from an existing topology, I guess I
will have a hard time to merge the two parts, am I wrong ?

If I don't get you wrong, my 'instinctive behavior' shares some
similarities with what you suggest (replacing, wherever it is possible, ATB
parameters by 'known parameters'). But if I don't  submit the whole
molecule to ATB, then I don't know how to get "reliable" atomic charges ?

You underline another important thing to consider: the choice of the right
forcefield. Until now I've been working with berger lipids as forcefield
for my bilayers (initially following one of your tutorials, by the way
thanks a lot for this very helpful work !) in combination with small
gromos53a6 molecules. Here, since my molecule includes a large acyl chain,
it could be non ideal to use gromos53a6 parameters while the lipids with
which it should interact are parametrized with berger lipids. Maybe berger
- berger non-bonded interactions would be better for these mainly
hydrophobic interactions ? Nevertheless I don't see how I could create a
berger topology for such a peculiar molecule, especially because I don't
know any ATB-like for this FF.
Maybe another force field could be used for both the bilayer and my
molecule (with the help of a reliable ATB-like website) ? Or would it be
better to use gromos53a6 lipids instead of berger lipids ?

Thank you in advance !