[gmx-users] normalized overlap

Lovas, Sandor SandorLovas at creighton.edu
Mon Dec 19 16:44:44 CET 2016

Hi Mark,
I suspect this is a bug in the code. I have checked my inputs
(eigenval.xvg and eigenvector.trr) and they looked OK. I know that the
first and the second frames in the eigenvector.trr are for the
reference and average structures, respectively. But in this case I
think it does not matter what they are, since the eignevalues are not
zero in the eigenval.xvg filesm, so if they are read from the input or
used during the calculation they should affect the result.

Here is how I generated the files. Btw, I use gromacs-2016, but
previous versions have the same problem:

1. gmx covar -f traj.xtc -s conf.pdb  -o eigenval_tot -v eigenvec_tot;
full trejectory

2. gmx covar -f traj.xtc -s conf.pdb -e 500000 -o eigenval_5 -v
eigenvec_5 ; first half of tjhe simulation

3. gmx anaeig -v eigenvec_5.trr -eig eigenval_5.xvg  -v2
eigenvec_tot.trr -eig2 eigenval_tot.xvg; using the eigenvalues

trr version: GMX_trn_file (single precision)
Read non mass weighted reference structure with 443 atoms from
eigenvec_5.trr
Read non mass weighted average/minimum structure with 443 atoms from
eigenvec_5.trr
Read 1329 eigenvectors (for 443 atoms)

Read 1329 eigenvalues from eigenval_5.xvg
Read non mass weighted reference structure with 443 atoms from
../eigenvec_tot.trr
Read non mass weighted average/minimum structure with 443 atoms from
../eigenvec_tot.trr
Read 1329 eigenvectors (for 443 atoms)

Read 1329 eigenvalues from ../eigenval_tot.xvg
RMSD (without fit) between the two average structures: 0.093 (nm)

2 eigenvectors selected for output: 1 1329
Will compare the covariance matrices using 1329 dimensions
Trace of the two matrices: 29.8148 and 29.2895
Square root of the traces: 5.46029 and 5.41198
The overlap of the covariance matrices:
  normalized:  0.679
       shape:  0.679

4. gmx anaeig -v eigenvec_5.trr -v2 eigenvec_tot.trr ; no eigenvalues
are in the input

trr version: GMX_trn_file (single precision)
Read non mass weighted reference structure with 443 atoms from
eigenvec_5.trr
Read non mass weighted average/minimum structure with 443 atoms from
eigenvec_5.trr
Read 1329 eigenvectors (for 443 atoms)

Read non mass weighted reference structure with 443 atoms from
../eigenvec_tot.trr
Read non mass weighted average/minimum structure with 443 atoms from
../eigenvec_tot.trr
Read 1329 eigenvectors (for 443 atoms)

RMSD (without fit) between the two average structures: 0.093 (nm)

2 eigenvectors selected for output: 1 1329
Will compare the covariance matrices using 1329 dimensions
Trace of the two matrices: 29.8147 and 29.2895
Square root of the traces: 5.46029 and 5.41198
The overlap of the covariance matrices:
  normalized:  0.679
       shape:  0.679

In both cases the normalized value (0.679) are the same.

Sandor

wrote:

> I have asked this question a few days back; I try one more time:
>
> When I am trying calculate the degrees of overlap of subsets of a
> simulation to the whole trajectory by following the explanation in
the
> manual gmx anaeig:
> "When -v, -eig, -v2 and -eig2 are given, a single number for the
> overlap between the covariance matrices is generated...."
>
> For me, it does not make any difference whether or not I use the "-
eig"
> and "-eig2" inputs, the results for normalized overlap are the same.
In