[gmx-users] How to use Höltje's cholesterol parameters ?

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 20 15:44:53 CET 2016

Hi,

Not sure how much I can help here as I've not used these Holtje
parameters or indeed even simulated cholesterol all that much before but
hopefully I say a couple of general things that might be of use.

Firstly, this is a good question and I think that lack of responses is
probably due to the fact the no-one has really tested these different
types of combinations. If someone knows otherwise, please feel free to
correct me. You could obviously test these things yourself, but that
would require a fair amount of work. What I do know about the
Berger/Holtje combination is that it is thought to result in a too much
of an ordering (see, for example, some of the discussions at
http://nmrlipids.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/nmrlipids-iii-preliminary-observations.html).
I'm unsure if this is with the standard cholesterol tail atomtypes or
with Berger types, as you suggest you might want to use.

A second point is related to the Berger force field in general. Unless
you are simulating PC phospholipids, you should avoid using this force
field. There are several papers that show that things don't work well
for different non-PC based lipids.

Finally, and you sort of touched upon this, to avoid these issues you
could just use a different force field. You mention that you already
have GROMOS topologies for your small molecules and that there are
cholesterol parameters available from the ATB; there are also compatible
phospholipid parameters too. For PC lipids you have the choice of the
53A6L/54A7 parameters of Poger et al. (included in the 54A7 rtp and also
available from the ATB), or the Kukol/GROMOS-CKP parameters (these ones
are available to download from Lipidbook or I can send stuff off list).
For these latter parameters, there are also lots of different lipids
types available which work pretty well in general (like any force field,
I definitely wouldn't claim that they are perfect though). You could
also switch to a completely different force field all together and use,
for example, one of the all-atom CHARMM36, Slipids or LIPID14 force
fields. These will likely have the lipid parameters you need but you
would need to parameterise the small molecules. The latter two are AMBER
based and so you could use GAFF for this, for CHARMM36 you can use
CGenFF. Frankly, I'd suggest doing the simulations using a couple of
different force fields anyway to try and be sure of anything you see, if
you have the time/compute to do so.

Hopefully that is some sort of help, sorry I can't give more specific
advice directly on your questions.

Cheers

Tom

--