[gmx-users] adding new parameters to force field

Mohsen Ramezanpour ramezanpour.mohsen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:06:48 CET 2016

Thanks Mark, :-)

Maybe my question was not clear.

I have a molecule and I am trying to parametrize it.
I have assigned atom types to each atom and now trying to find the
approperiate bonded and nonbonded parameters for it.
Based on these atom types, there are parameters for it in FF already.
However, the parameters (especially, the dihedrals) do not result in
reasonable agreement with exp data.
So, I had to optimize the parameters for a few specific dihedrals (keeping
the same atom types).

Now, I want to add new parameters into the force field. This is why I was
curious to see if grompp will read the new inserted parameters or the
original ones.

In gromos force field, each bond, angle, dihedral has a code (e.g. gb_1,
ga_1, and gd_1),  thus, I can specifically define which one to use for my
molecule.
However, in Charmm36, there is not any similar code. So, I was not sure
which parameter grompp will uses.

One solution was to add new optimized parameters in corresponding line in
molecule.itp file. (there are a lot of lines and I rather to included lines
in ff than molecule.itp file)
An alternative was to define new atom types with similar properties but new
dihedral parameters compared to original ones.

I checked it yesterday and interestingly, grompp gives warnings regarding
duplicates, which one it takes, and if it overrides original parameters or
not.

Cheers
Mohsen