[gmx-users] How to extend my incompleted simulation? (not extend a completed one)

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Dec 29 20:10:27 CET 2016

On 12/29/16 2:02 PM, Zhang, Cheng wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Thank you. I tested "mdrun_mpi -deffnm md_0_1 -cpi state.cpt -append". However, I still ONLY got the four files WITHOUT cpt file.
>
> ) md_0_1.trr
> ) md_0_1.xtc
> ) md_0_1.edr
> ) md_0_1.log
>

> I know the link http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Extending_Simulations,
>
> but is it for extending a completed job? In my case, I want to continue a incompleted job.

If you have no .cpt file, then you can only restart the job from the beginning.
Your previous command of "mdrun -deffnm md_0_1" will not have produced anything
called "state.cpt" so your above command will only start over from the beginning
of the simulation (and the .log file should note this, otherwise check
stdout/stderr).

Any run terminated prematurely can be continued simply by adding "-cpi -append"
to the previous command, assuming a .cpt file is present.  If one is not
present, then either the run crashed before writing it (again, check the .log or
stdout/stderr for obvious error messages) or the cluster cut the job off before
the -cpt interval (default: 15 minutes) was reached.

-Justin

> Thank you.
>

> Yours sincerely
>
> Cheng