[gmx-users] AMBER nonbond params in GROMACS

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 10:00:03 CET 2016

Hi,

Thanks for the attention to detail! :-)

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 6:07 AM Patrick Charchar <
patrick.charchar at rmit.edu.au> wrote:

> Hello Gromacs Users,
>
> Sorry if this is trivial, but can someone please explain to me why LJ sigma
> values in the gromacs implemented amber FFs (ffnonbonded.itp) are
> multiplied by an additional factor of two when converting them from the
> values given in the amber papers?

The AMBER paper you cite isn't very clear on this point, but its parameter
is called R*, and not Rmin. Both AMBER and CHARMM express such parameters
in force field files as R* = Rmin/2, because that is convenient for
implementing the combination rule Rmin_ij = (Rmin_i + Rmin_j)/2. See e.g.
subscript j to Table 14 of the paper you mentioned. (One doesn't want to do
the division in the inner force loops, but it would have been nice to
implement that optimization after reading the Rmin parameter, rather than
in the value that the user might read or write.) You can see e.g. that the
acpype conversion tool has the same factor of 2 you found you needed
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/ccpn/code/branches/stable/ccpn/python/acpype/acpype.py
.

GROMACS implements multiple kinds of combination rules, so has to work in a
more general way, and its dedicated grompp pre-processor helps keep such
implementation details where they belong. :-)

Mark

To check my sanity... the van der Waals parameters in amber are given as