[gmx-users] C_v and Temperature

Alexander Alexander alexanderwien2k at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:28:17 CET 2016

Thank you for your response.

I am trying to calculate the heat capacity at constant volume for a crystal
solid in different temperature; below are what "gmx energy -fluct_props
..." gives me in 4 different temperatures:

T = 29.9    Cv = 24.4681 J/mol K

T = 99.9    Cv = 24.6643 J/mol K

T = 297.9  Cv = 24.4926 J/mol K

T = 799.9  Cv = 24.5054 J/mol K

And "gmx dos" gives something around "Heat capacity 0.000683396 (J/mol K)"
as quantum correction for all the simulation temperature I have tried.

The result for the two last temperature is fascinating and agree well with
my DFPT and phonon calculations as well as all the heat capacity laws in
higher temperatures.
Also, I was expecting that the C_v reduces to around 2 or 3 J/mol K  in
lower temperatures, but I do not know why the C_v in lower temperature is
the same as higher temperature, although I had a well prepared and
converged calculations. So, I would be so thankful if one could comment on
this.

By the way, this is what I have in my dos.log file.
----------------------------
System = "A3B crystal Solid"
Nmol = 43904
Natom = 43904
dt = 0.2 ps
tmass = 2.05132e+06 amu
V = 415.228 nm^3
rho = 8203.43 g/l
T = 298.15 K
beta = 0.403395 mol/kJ

DoS parameters
Delta = 3.49303e-05
fluidicity = 0.00202656
hard sphere packing fraction = 441.911
hard sphere compressibility = 1.00454
ideal gas entropy = 0.0717008
hard sphere entropy = -0.762789
sigma_HS = 1.99851 nm
DoS0 = 2.3222
Dos2 = 627309
DoSTot = 6.19421
Diffusion coefficient from VACF 0.000169117 10^-5 cm^2/s
Diffusion coefficient from DoS 0.00023386 10^-5 cm^2/s
Heat capacity 0.000623269 J/mol K

Best regards,
Alex