[gmx-users] trjconv options?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 4 13:51:40 CET 2016

On 2/4/16 4:27 AM, Timofey Tyugashev wrote:

>> Message: 2
>> Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 07:37:42 -0500
>> From: Justin Lemkul<jalemkul at vt.edu>
>> To:gmx-users at gromacs.org
>> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] trjconv options?

>> Any molecules that appear to fly away suddenly will be a pretty dead giveaway.
>>
>> In general, for multimeric complexes, you need to do a lot more work, e.g.
>> centering on a single chain after making molecules whole and removing jumps.  If
>> a simple -pbc mol -ur compact does the trick, probably nothing has actually
>> crossed a periodic boundary yet.

>> This is what trjconv -fit is for.
>>
>> -Justin
> Well, both vmd and pymol render .gro file (and trajectory files) with DNA
> strands and protein positioned in different corners of the box.
> Also, editconf -pbc has no effect on .gro file with the broken complex. How it's
> supposed to behave?
>
> So in this case I should at first run trjconv with '-pbc whole', make second run
> with '-pbc nojump', then make third run with '-pbc mol' to properly repair the
> trajectory?
> I guess for -fit I should pick 'progressive' option?

Complex systems require complex operations.  Start with
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions#Suggested_trjconv_workflow
because that order of operations generally works well.  Then see posts in the
archive, because this comes up frequently.  Typically, after making molecules
whole and removing jumps, you can center on a custom index group that defines
some useful center.  Then you can do whatever fitting you like.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore