[gmx-users] Laptop features for MD simulations - recommendations

Björn Sommer bjoern at CELLmicrocosmos.org
Fri Feb 5 16:47:08 CET 2016

> Hi all,
>
> I want to buy a laptop suitable and powerful enough for MD simulations
> with GROMACS (mostly membrane/protein systems). Could you recommend
> optimal features for this goal?
>
> Thanks
>
> Yasser

Hi Yasser,

just an extension to the previous answers. In case, money is not the
problem, I can propose you a very nice laptop. I made a short review at
LinkedIn about it, the EUROCOM Scorpius 3D2:

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/1945944-6066123861391335424

I compiled Gromacs with CPU and GPU support on Ubuntu 14, and it runs
very fast for a laptop! I have a system with a 100X100 Angstrom membrane
(modelled with the MembraneEditor ;) and a small polypeptide, and it
requires less than 1 week for 100ns. This laptop in the configuration I
discussed at LinkedIn, comes with an NVIDIA Quadro 5100M and a 3D
monitor based on NVIDIA 3D Vision 2. So this means, you can do your
simulation, and afterwards evaluate the 3D structures in VMD in full
Stereo 3D! Aha, there is a small disadvantage: the laptop is huge (17"
monitor) and heavy ;-)

However, please keep in mind, that you do not have to buy a Quadro card
if you just need much power. You can buy then a top class GTX card. Some
EUROCOM laptops can even be equipped with 2 cards! But if you want to
combine it with Stereo 3D in VMD (you need windowed stereo mode OpenGL -
as far as I know still not possible with 3D Vision and GTX cards), you
have to go for a professional card like the Quadro.

Cheers,
Bjorn