[gmx-users] Fattal error in npt_umbrella : Umbrella Sampling Simulations tutorial

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Feb 6 00:38:06 CET 2016

On 2/5/16 2:50 PM, Alexander Alexander wrote:
> Dear Gromacs user,
>
> I am trying to do the Umbrella simulation following exactly the the
> tutorial, everything is fine but I a fatal error happens in .tpr file
> generation of npt_umbrella section warning about Pcoupl in npt_umbrella.mdp
> file.
> I used the suggested .mdp file in tutorial with Parrinello-Rahman pressure
> coupling, but it complained that this type of coupling make the
> equilibration unstable, and use Berendsen pressure coupling instead.
> Then, I did, but again Fatal error by an warning stating that Berendsen
> invalidates the true ensemble for the thermostat.

Use of the Berendsen weak coupling should not trigger a fatal error.  It should
produce a note for the user.  Can you provide the exact output from the screen,
copied and pasted?

> All the inputs and even the name are fully identical with the tutorial
> samples.
> The version of Gromacs is : VERSION 5.1-rc1

Don't use release candidates for production work :)  Get the newest version (5.1.2).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore