[gmx-users] correct rlist and Verlet scheme

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:09:39 CET 2016

Hi,

As Adam says, you want to understand the reason why the forcefield
specifies the settings it does. For example, until at least AMBER 2003,
their force field papers did not specify PME parameters more precisely than
"x nm cutoff was used." If PME was used at all. ;-) So you can be guided
also by the parameters reported by successful users of these forcefields,
particularly those of the various force field and software authors.

rlist is a free parameter so long as you choose it large enough to avoid
missing a significant number of interactions over the lifetime of the list
- but it affects performance strongly. rcoulomb can be varied for
equivalent accuracy if matching changes occur to PME parameters. VDW
parameters should generally follow the force field derivation precisely
(but add long-range corrections for dispersion) - GROMACS will not change
these. You should check out the background information in the reference
manual, sections 3.4.2 and 3.17.5

Mark