[gmx-users] RMSD reproducibility

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 15 18:24:44 CET 2016

On 2/15/16 12:21 PM, Biplab Ghosh wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I have the following question:
>
> Suppose I repeat a simulation, keeping everything exactly the same.
> What will happen to RMSD? Will it be exactly same with the previous run?

No.

> If not, then how much variation is expected?

Impossible to tell.  RMSD is also a useless metric in this regard.

> To check this, I ran two independent simulations:
> 1) upto t=100ns using 216 processors and
> 2) upto t=200ns using 432 processors.
> Everything else were kept unchanged!
>
> The calculated RMSD for upto t=100ns was quite different.
> Am I doing something  wrong? Please explain.

Welcome to the chaotic world of MD.  Deviations occur very rapidly due to a
number of factors.  This is why it is commonplace to run multiple simulations to
confirm results.  One trajectory alone is usually insufficient evidence that the
findings are conclusive.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Reproducibility

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy