[gmx-users] gromacs.org_gmx-users Digest, Vol 142, Issue 76

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 12:23:17 CET 2016

Hi,

The ports of all the AMBER force fields were all tested to reproduce AMBER
when when they were added to GROMACS. Many of our regressiontests use those
force fields, so there is reason to expect that they all continue to work.
The Verlet scheme is tested to implement what the documentation says it
does. There have been bugs introduced (and fixed) in how GROMACS
preprocessing tools implement the requirements of AMBER force fields,
including ILDN.

To be able to say "this force field is tested to work correctly with this
cutoff scheme in this version of GROMACS" requires the community to agree
on what that means, e.g. a large collection of single-point energies+forces
agree to within a certain precision, and simulations done in a particular
model physics produce these ensembles with these observables, etc. That
hasn't happened yet. As far as I know, the ability of the different AMBER
code versions to correctly continue to implement all the AMBER force fields
has a similar kind of question mark over it. Just having the same name is
not enough ;-)

Mark