[gmx-users] correct rlist and Verlet scheme

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:07:30 CET 2016

Hi,

The short-range interaction treatment in AMBER and GROMACS is quite
different (to the best of my knowledge), so obsessing about rlist
seems pointless to me.

AMBER uses a heuristic list update where search is triggered based
particles tracking ("safe" but inefficient strategy), whereas GROMACS
uses a fixed list update frequency. The automated buffer estimate that
ensures control of the non-boneded drift. Without controlling _both_
buffer and search frequency (and a bunch of other subtle
implementation details) you won't achieve identical computation.

Hence, if you want to have (more or less) the same non-bonded
calculation implemented in GROMACS, strictly speaking you'd have to
use nstlist=1 or if you accept to be a bit less strict, a huge manual
buffer (and small-ish nstlist) should achieve more or less the same.
However, there are plenty of other algorithmic and implementation
differences between AMBER and GROMACS, so I don't think it's worth
worrying about getting the Verlet list buffer length to match.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd

PS: I thought AMBER FF was parametrized with 0.9 nm cut-off, isn't it?