[gmx-users] generating an initial structure with a gromacs compatible tool

Nash, Anthony a.nash at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 15:26:07 CET 2016

Hi Mark,

When you generate a peptide sequences in Avogadro the atom name order in
the .pdb for NGLY (which is just GLY and required renaming) is NHCCOHHHHH
(if my memory serves me right - ignore the shortening of the names),
whilst in the .rtp file of amberffsb.99 it is NHHHCHHCO. I’ve always
reordered by hand. You mention that atom order isn’t significant until
grompp, are you suggesting the pdb2gmx will understand *any* order of
atoms within a residue?

With regards to your point about constraints - yes, you are right. I’m
using an energy minimisation .mdp input file without any mention of
constraints. I’ve never once had to do this within an energy minimisation
(I must have very fortunate starting structures up until yesterday) until
I come to use NVT and/or NPT steeping. I’ve just put on LINCS and reran
the energy minimiation, see below for the output:

Regarding the atom ordering - this is something I suspect, but I’ve
trawled through every gromacs file I’ve changed, and input geometry and it
all seems to be aligned. I suspect I need a fresh set of eyes.

Thanks
Anthony

Steepest Descents:
   Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+01
   Number of steps    =       200000

Step 40, time 0.04 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
rms 0.007405, max 0.034928 (between atoms 73 and 75)
bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
 atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length
     71     72   31.4    0.1014   0.1006      0.1010

Energy minimization has stopped, but the forces have not converged to the
requested precision Fmax < 10 (which may not be possible for your system).
It
stopped because the algorithm tried to make a new step whose size was too
small, or there was no change in the energy since last step. Either way, we
regard the minimization as converged to within the available machine
precision, given your starting configuration and EM parameters.
You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn
off constraints altogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)

Dr Anthony Nash
Department of Chemistry
University College London

On 24/02/2016 14:04, "gromacs.org_gmx-users-bounces at maillist.sys.kth.se on