[gmx-users] generating an initial structure with a gromacs compatible tool

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:12:42 CET 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM Nash, Anthony <a.nash at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I’m afraid I am not sure what you mean by your final point "Thus, avoiding
> the issue by not doing reordering.”
>
> I don’t think I’ve been as clear as I could have been, sorry about that. I
> am only using avogadro to attach the two glycine residues, NGLY and CGLY
> to the backbone of my brand new fragment whose geometry comes from the
> output of a HF/6-31G(p) optimisation. I load the Gaussian .pdb into
> avogadro, attach the two glycine residues, and then resave without
> disturbing the coordinates of the original fragment (of which the eq bond
> length and angles are based on). Unfortunately, going back to my original
> question of “does gromacs have its own editing tool”, avogadro adjusts the
> formats of the original Gaussian .pdb file (including deviating the
> X-coordinate entry by a single character shift to the left, causing
> pdb2gmx to throw out a warning for every atom in the system)

That sounds like a bug in Avogadro, and you should complain about it. pdb
is a fixed-column format.

> plus puts in
> the terminal glycines at the end of the file. This is no good as pdb2gmx’s
> understanding of amber requires the termini of each chain to be defined by
> the presence of NGLY-FRAGMENT-GCLY.

But this has a trivial fix.... just copy the NGLY fragment and put it at
the start. The numbering doesn't matter, so long as the numbers do change
"reasonably."

Either way, I’ve successfully walked through the complete steps of
> Gaussian optimisation and RESP derivation to a running NPT gromacs
> simulation for an almost identical peptide residue. The fact that the
> second one isn’t working is probably indicative of my atom ordering being
> skewered - perhaps by just two atoms!

Well, make a vacuum system with just ngly-fragment-cgly and do gmx dump on
the .tpr. There's no docs on how that format works, but you can see what
grompp has made of your topology, which can function as that "second pair
of eyes." Just be alert that all the indexing in the dump starts from 0
(because that's convenient in C programs).

Mark

Thanks