[gmx-users] genion with Na or Ca

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 12 13:41:23 CET 2016

On 1/12/16 3:19 AM, Turgay Cakmak wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have a quick question about neutralizing the system. I have a solvated
> system that contains a charged protein of -2q. Is there a major difference
> betwen adding 2 Na ions and a single  Ca ion to neutralize the system
> (using genion)?

For the purposes of neutralization, probably not, but note that additive force
fields do not deal well with divalent ions.  Na+ or K+ are preferable if only
being used for simple balancing of charge.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore