[gmx-users] genion with Na or Ca

Smith, Micholas D. smithmd at ornl.gov
Tue Jan 12 14:03:45 CET 2016

At low concentrations (just a single Ca2+) you shouldn't expect any huge differences, though the Ca2+ may stick around the protein surface a little bit longer than the Na+ ions which may alter how one of the charged residues is hydrated. If the protein is of a modest size (not a small fragment), than any modifications to the hydration of a single residue likely will not be a huge driving factor to your dynamics...though this is not guaranteed.

When in doubt, run both simulation conditions and compare.

-Micholas

Micholas Dean Smith, PhD.
Post-doctoral Research Associate
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Center for Molecular Biophysics