[gmx-users] multiple nodes, GPUs on a Cray system

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 20:38:32 CET 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 8:19 PM, Michael Weiner <mdw224 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Micholas,
> Thanks for the quick reply.  This solved part of my problem, in that the
> system does now run, but it seems like the domain decomposition uses only
> the number of nodes, not the total number of processors (unless it’s being
> further divided later in a way not recorded in the log file).

Multi-threaded (OpenMP) parallelization makes sure that mdrun can use all
cores in a node. Unless you or the job launcher told mdrun to use a certain
number of threads, mdrun will divide all available cores among the MPI
ranks placed onto a node. So if you start one MPI rank per node
(as Micholas suggested), mdrun should be using 8 threads/rank and the log
should clearly state this.

> As a result, the simulation seems to run much more slowly than expected.

Slow simulation could be caused by other factors too, but without seeing a
log file, it's hard to tell what the reason is.

>   Do I need to manually set the domain decomposition rather than allowing
> it to happen automatically?

No. You should be setting the launch configuration manually, the domain
decomposition will be set based on that.