[gmx-users] trivial question about water molecules

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jan 22 11:57:44 CET 2016

Please keep the discussion on the gmx-users mailing list.

On 1/22/16 3:42 AM, Marta Wisniewska wrote:
> Hello Justin,
>
> thank you for your response. I know about that way. I'd like to calculate it on
> piece of paper. I'va already tried do this. But I have small problem and the
> solutions is not in agreement with data from topolgy file. How can I calculate this?

I don't understand what the question is.  How many ions were added?  What data
do you think are in disagreement?  genion really does a very simple operation,
so it should be quite obvious what happened.  The calculation is nothing more
than simple arithmetic.

-Justin

> Thank you in advance,
> Marta
>
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 12:30:36 -0500
> From: Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>>
> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org>
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] trivial question about water molecules
>

> On 1/21/16 11:47 AM, Marta Wisniewska wrote:
>  > Hello Gromacs Users;
>  >
>  > I'd like to calculate the # of replaced water molecules by sodium chloride
>  > in my system . I added a 0.15M concentration of NaCl. How can I calculate
>  > the number of water molecules, which are replaced by ions?
>  >

> genion replaces a water molecule with an ion, so the number of waters replaced
> equals the number of ions added.
>
> -Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy