[gmx-users] md with multiple ligands

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jul 2 13:45:25 CEST 2016

On 7/1/16 9:51 PM, Billy Williams-Noonan wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I've found that I get this error with my relative FEP calculations if my
> .gro file with the relevant protein and ligand coordinates, describes the
> protein numbering from a1-3017, and the ligand from 3018 onwards for
> example, while in my topology file, a1-3017 refer to the same protein, and
> afterwards I start label the first atom of my ligand as 1 again, instead of
> 3018.
>
> This problem usually pops up when I manually combine the relevant protein
> and ligand molecule type and make an error with the numbering.

Sure, in the case of merging [moleculetype] directives, all kinds of things
change.  But for most normal simulations that do not require such operations,
the ligand topology should be numbered from 1 (just as your merged
[moleculetype] does, but that's a different case than what the OP is describing).

-Justin

> Kind regards,
>
> Billy
>
> On Friday, 1 July 2016, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 6/30/16 11:22 PM, Billy Williams-Noonan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Thanh,
>>>
>>> Maybe try to check if the numbering of your atoms in the topology files is
>>> consistent with the .pdb or .gro files they describe.
>>>

>> Coordinate file and topology file numbering are different and use
>> different conventions.  In fact, if one numbers a topology using global
>> atom numbers from a coordinate file, it is what causes the error the OP
>> reports.  Each [moleculetype] directive must be numbered consecutively from
>> 1; after that, the only match with the coordinate file is based on the
>> correct appearance of atom names (thus a link between [molecules] in the
>> .top and the coordinates themselves).
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> Billy

>> --