[gmx-users] lipid pulling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 7 13:44:07 CEST 2016

On 7/6/16 7:24 AM, xy21hb wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am pulling the saturated and unsaturated chains of a lipid bilayer to "simulate" its gel phase transition by pull code. It ends with the expected extended structure.
>
> But when I continue with zero pulling rate
> to maintain the extended structure for a while, the tails go back to the original length.
> I guess I have made some mistakes in the mdp pull code part,
>
> =========
> pull                    = umbrella
> pull-ngroups            = 6
> pull-ncoords            = 4
>
> pull-group1-name        = topC2
> pull-group2-name        = downC2
> pull-group3-name        = topC218
> pull-group4-name        = downC218
> pull-group5-name        = topC316
> pull-group6-name        = downC316
>
> pull-geometry    = distance      ; simple distance increase
>
> pull-coord1-groups      = 1 3
> pull-coord2-groups      = 1 5
> pull-coord3-groups      = 2 4
> pull-coord4-groups      = 2 6
> pull-dim         = N N Y
>
> pull-coord1-vec         = 0 0 1
> pull-coord1-rate        = 0.000          ; 0.01 nm per ps = 10 nm per ns
> pull-coord1-k           = 1000          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
> pull-coord2-vec         = 0 0 1
> pull-coord2-rate        = 0.000          ; 0.01 nm per ps = 10 nm per ns
> pull-coord2-k           = 1000          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
> pull-coord3-vec         = 0 0 1
> pull-coord3-rate        = 0.000          ; 0.01 nm per ps = 10 nm per ns
> pull-coord3-k           = 1000          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
> pull-coord4-vec         = 0 0 1
> pull-coord4-rate        = 0.000          ; 0.01 nm per ps = 10 nm per ns
> pull-coord4-k           = 1000          ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>
> pull-coord1-init        =  1.0
> pull-coord2-init        =  1.0
> pull-coord3-init        =  1.0
> pull-coord4-init        =  1.0
>
> pull-start       = yes         ; define initial COM distance > 0
>
> ============
>
> Any guess on the reason? Many thanks.

You should use pull-start = yes and not use pull-coord*-init if the lipids are
already in the configuration you want.  Otherwise, you're trying to set the
starting distance + 1.0 nm as the reference, which may not be physically
possible or sensible.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629